Wildlife holidays in Chile
Tell me about Chile …
The topography of Chile is one of the most extraordinary of any country in the world. The country forms a ribbon of land stretching over 4,000 kilometres from the arid Atacama Desert in the north to the subantarctic islands of the south.
Nowhere more than 180 kilometres wide, the country is separated from neighbouring Argentina by the Andes Mountains which create some of the most spectacular scenery in South America.
Thanks to its unusual geography, and a comprehensive domestic airline network, it is possible to visit a wide range of habitats within a single holiday in Chile – from the Andean snowline and seabird filled waters of the Pacific, to the south’s wild coastline and the beech forests bordering the Straits of Magellan at the very tip of the continent.
Our specialist recommends..
"Our new ‘Chile – Just Pumas’ tour explores Torres del Paine National Park in search of the elusive Puma. There is a wonderful variety of birds and other mammal species all in this spectacular setting."
What’s special about the wildlife?
The bird watching in Chile is superb and is likely to include such sought-after species as Andean Condor, Inca Tern, Andean Avocet, Magellanic Plover and the peculiar Diademed Sandpiper-plover.
The waters off the Chilean coast are rich in marine life, while inland there are some unusual mammals such as Guanaco and Andean Deer.
Naturetrek tours to Chile
Naturetrek offers two wildlife tours to Chile, one which is primarily a bird watching holiday, and another which focuses on searching for Blue Whales and Pumas plus other mammals and birds.
Highlights of a wildlife tour to Chile may include:
- Birds such as Andean Condor, Inca Tern, Megallanic Plover, Diademed Sandpiper-plover, Magellanic Penguin & Flightless Steamer-duck plus high-altitude waterbirds
- A visit to Chiloe Island to look for Blue Whales & Torres del Paine National Park to search for Pumas
- Terrestrial mammals such as wild Vicuna, otters, Darwin’s Fox & Pudu, as well as marine mammals including Humpback Whales, Peale’s Dolphins & the endemic Chilean Dolphin
- Patagonia & the Magellan Straits to look for Commerson’s Dolphin & Patagonian Hairy Armadillo
- Spectacular scenery including Tierra del Fuego & Andean Lakes
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Chile HOLIDAYS
Watching Puma's was balanced with bird watching and visiting scenic places. We had lots of opportunities to walk about and were not inactive in the bus too much.
We were lucky to be in a small group and have good weather. I felt very privileged to be able to watch Puma's at close quarters and study their behaviour. Wonderful!
It was a wonderful holiday.
I enjoyed the friendliness of the leader, driver and tracker and the group was very friendly, one which gelled together extremely well.
The weather was excellent which meant that we had outstanding opportunities to see and photograph the landscape.