Wildlife holidays in Peru
Tell me about Peru …
Peru epitomises South America for many of us and offers bird watchers and wildlife enthusiasts the travel experience of a lifetime.
Almost everybody harbours longings to see the magnificent scenery of the high Andes, the evocative ruined cities of the Incas and the great rainforests of the Amazon basin.
Peru possesses an unrivalled range of environments inside one country, ranging from harsh deserts to vast rainforests, high snow-covered peaks to ox-bow lakes deep in the jungle, offshore islands to temperate cloudforest, glaciers to volcanoes and from grasslands to cactus-studded canyons.
Transitions from one environment to another are extremely rapid and during our travels we shall visit all the major habitats found in southern Peru from the Pacific Ocean to the Andes and the lowlands of Amazonia, marvelling at some of the finest scenery in the world.
Our Peru specialist recommends..
"I recommend our ‘ Peru – Macaws & Machu Picchu’ tour where we explore the country’s most important maritime reserve, a visit to the ancient city of Cusco and a trek to Machu Picchu. The wildlife highlight is a visit to an isolated macaw clay-lick on the upper Tambopata River."Andy Tucker
What’s special about the wildlife?
Peru has an exceptional natural history, including a rich marine life and mammalian fauna. But for bird watchers, Peru is particularly special. Its magnificent bid life includes:
- Huge condors sailing past icy peaks
- Packed masses of seabirds on the guano islands
- Pink flamingoes dotting the waters of high-altitude soda lakes
- Toucans eating ripe fruit in the rainforest canopy
- Hundreds of macaws, parrots & parakeets gathering at a claylick at dawn
Naturetrek tours to Peru
Naturetrek offers a range of wildlife holidays and natural history tours in Peru which offer bird watching, mammal watching and culture.
Highlights from our Peru wildlife holidays include:
- Trekking to Machu Picchu (we are the only specialist wildlife tour company to offer the Inca Trail)
- Macaw claylicks on the Tambopata River
- Seabirds of the Humboldt Current & Ballestas Islands
- Cock-of-the-rock, tanagers & quetzals in the cloudforests of Manu
- Optional flight over the Nasca lines
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Peru HOLIDAYS
A really excellent trip, which my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed.
I particularly enjoyed the night walk in the rainforest around the ARCC - marvellous views of a common opossum and lots of wonderful insects and spiders. The oxbow lake is superb - loved the Hoatzins, they are straight out of Jurassic Park!!
Pepe was an exceptional guide who was sympathetic towards the less able/ knowledgeable birdwatchers amongst the party. He made sure wherever possible everyone in the party saw everything.