Wildlife holidays in South Africa
Tell me about South Africa …
The Republic of South Africa lies at the southernmost tip of the African continent, flanked to the west by the Atlantic Ocean and to the south and east by the Indian Ocean. It shares borders with Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Swaziland.
The country is divided into three main geographical regions: the plateau, the mountains and the coast. South Africa’s new democracy has been aptly named the ‘Rainbow Nation’ – referring to the colourful combination of ethnic cultures of the people who live in this land of scenic contrasts.
The diversity of the natural habitat contrasts from semi-desert in the north-west to subtropical forests of the eastern shoreline, and from the majestic heights of the Drakensberg to the floodplains of Maputaland and the eastern Transvaal lowveld.
Our South Africa specialist recommends...
"Why not join us on our ‘South Africa – Just Cats’ tour, a 12-day holiday focusing on cats – including Lion, Cheetah, Leopard, Serval, Caracal and African Wild Cat. We will of course experience the large numbers of game in both Kruger National Park and Sabi Sands Game Reserve."Paul Stanbury
What’s special about its wildlife?
It’s hard to know where to begin, but here are a few of the many wildlife highlights South Africa has to offer:
- Wild Dogs, plus a suite of cats including Lion, Cheetah, Leopard, Serval & Caracal
- African Penguins, Southern Right Whales & Cape Fur Seals
- The fragile & beautiful fynbos flora & its associated bird life (including endemics)
- Sought after bird life such as African Broadbill, Narina Trogon, sugarbirds & sunbirds
- Mammals & other special wildlife of Kruger National Park
Naturetrek tours to South Africa
Naturetrek offers a whole range of wildlife tours and natural history holidays in South Africa. Here’s a selection:
- Bargain bird watching & mammal tours
- Butterflies of South Africa
- Wild flowers of the Drakensberg Mountains, Cape & Namaqualand
- ‘Just Cats!’ – a holiday focusing on South Africa’s seven species of cat
- A wildlife journey along South Africa’s famous ‘Garden Route’
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR South Africa HOLIDAYS
We really appreciate the effort made to make this a special trip for us and to tailor each day to take most advantage of the available opportunities to sight wildlife. It was an exceptionally well organized, friendly and memorable holiday.
The several locations gave opportunities for different wildlife. Small group giving window seats for all in two minibuses was good. Superbly knowledgeable leaders and their pleasant personalities and senses of humour gave much enjoyment to each sighting. Leaders' sensitivity to each participant's individual needs made the trip go smoothly.
John and Toby were great leaders - knowledgable and personable. They worked well together and made the trip very enjoyable.