Wildlife Trekking Holidays
Naturetrek started by and still specialises in organising bird watching and wild flower treks to remote and mountainous regions of the world. Though our programme of holidays now includes many tours which involve little or no strenuous walking, Naturetrek still offers an excellent choice of trekking wildlife holidays, from the Himalaya to the Inca trail.
Our trekking specialist recommends...
“Well, I’m a little biased as I am particularly fond of the Himalaya. However, if you want to find some spectacular mountain scenery and wildlife nearer to home, try ‘Spain’s Cantabrian Mountains – Realm of the Bear’ for mammals and birds, the Dolomites or Alpujarra for butterflies and Switzerland for alpine flowers!”
Naturetrek Managing Director
Naturetrek wildlife trekking holidays
What kind of trekking tours does Naturetrek offer?
1. Strenuous treks as the main feature of the tour – lasting up to 15 days – in some of world’s most spectacular and sparsely populated mountain ranges, including the Himalaya & Nepal’s Langtang Valley where we go in search of breeding birds, alpine flowers, mammals and other wildlife. Here are a few more choices:
- We offer two treks in Ladakh – one exploring wildlife & culture of the Markha Valley in midsummer, & another searching for Snow Leopards in midwinter
- Mount Everest & the Gokyo Lakes of Nepal to enjoy the world’s highest peaks & their unique natural history
- A holiday to Bhutan’s Bumthang Valley in search of spring flowers, particularly rhododendrons
2. Tours which include short treks or strenuous walking as part of wider holiday. These include holidays such as plant hunting in China’s Sichuan & Yunnan provinces and searching for orchids and other flora in Ecuador’s Andes, plus many European tours which are based in mountain regions such as the Alps, Pyrenees, Picos or Carpathians.
3. Tours which include optional treks to go in search of spectacular wildlife and scenery in a region, such as Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda & Uganda, trekking the Inca trail in Peru, or an ascent of Table Mountain in South Africa.
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Trekking HOLIDAYS
Thank you to everyone at Naturetrek who played a part in making this holiday such an excellent experience. In particular I would like to say a huge thank you to David for being such a superb leader. I was so impressed by the way he handled all situations so camly and confidently. David's ornithological and botanical knowledge was first rate and he so patiently gave us names for plants despite us asking the same questions time and time again! I really appreciated the way David enlightened us in all sorts of subjects; the holiday wasn't simply an opportunity to see different species - we all learnt about the varrous habitats, farming practices of the Berber traditions and culture, impacts on the environment etc. An excellent couple of weeks. Thank you very much.
Wonderful holiday, best yet. Ethiopia is great - full of surprises. Seeing the wolves was superb. Abbie's knowledge of birds was excellent. I would love to go back to Ethiopia.
In my opinion, this was a magical trek and an amazing experience. It was a definitely superior to any walking trek I have done before and was my first real introduction to both birdwatching and botany! I loved staying in the Riad in Marrakech with it's shady courtyards and roof top garden (a good spot for viewing storkes!) I found Essaouira very attractive with its amazing beach and sand dunes...it was a lovely place to end the holiday. I am truly grateful to David, Mohammed the guide, Mohammed the cook, the muleteers and, of course, the mules for such an interesting and exciting holiday.