Wildlife holidays in South America
South America is a beguiling place. With climatic, altitudinal and geographical
extremes as wide as any and more bird species than any other continent, names
such as ‘Amazon’ and ‘Galápagos’ have an endless fascination. To witness the
staggering variety of life there is a goal that must be satisfied for anyone
interested in natural history.
Our South America specialist recommends...
"Our outstanding 2-week cruise of the Galápagos aboard a splendid schooner is, in my opinion, second to none! In Peru I’d recommend our ‘Macaws & Machu Picchu’ tour which visits the world’s largest clay-lick and includes an optional trek to Machu Picchu. If you’re on a budget try our popular ‘Ecuador – Cock-of-the-rock’ tour or ‘Colombia – Multicoloured Tanager’ holiday."
Naturetrek Tour Manager
Naturetrek tours to South America
From the great tropical rainforests of the north to the dramatic landscapes of Patagonia, Naturetrek’s South America holidays go in search of the continent’s dazzling array of birds, mammals and other wildlife. Here are just some of the Naturetrek wildlife tours in South America that you can choose from:
- Ecuador – The Andes & Amazon – a birdwatching tour of the western cloudforests, high páramo and the Amazon lowlands
- Ecuador & the Galápagos Islands – a 2-week cruise of the Galápagos Islands
- Argentine Patagonia – explores southern Patagonia, the Peninsula Valdés, Glaciares National Park and Tierra del Fuego
- Peru – Macaws & Machu Picchu – visit the famous Inca ruins and enjoy an isolated clay-lick on the Upper Tambopata River
- Brazil – Just Jaguars! – our dedicated Jaguar-watching holiday taking you to the heart of the Brazilian Pantanal and into the heart of the ‘Jaguar Zone’!
- South America’s Big Cats – focuses on searching for Pumas in Chile and Jaguars in the Pantanal
- The Falkland Islands – comprehensive exploration of these remote South Atlantic islands and a chance to see as many penguins as you could wish for!
- Guyana – A Timeless Paradise – this unspoiled country is home to Giant Anteaters, Giant River Otters and Guianan Cock-of-the-rock and boasts some breathtaking scenery including waterfalls, pristine forests and savannahs
Birdwatching holidays in South America …
If your passion is birdwatching, then you can’t beat South America! We offer a superb variety of dedicated birdwatching holidays to the continent. Here’s a selection:
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR South America HOLIDAYS
An interesting trip with hard-working driver and guide
Even though this was an exciting tour in prospect, the reality was even better. The tour greatly exceeded our expectations and although Ecuador might seem a long way to go for a weeks break - it was well worth it.
Alejandro is a top leader and he was responsible for us seeing a large list of birds. He is a brilliant birdguide and nature enthusiast.
Having filled in the questionnaire relating to the Just Jaguars trip, I would like to add my own personal thoughts on the trip. Having travelled with a number of companies over the years, Naturetrek stands well above all others. Its success is brought about by a number of factors, past and present research into status of the group of mammals, birds or other animals that are being quested. This is coupled with a great depth of knowledge of the countries being visited. Above all is the dedication of the staff employed to engage with the clients to bring about the fulfillment of the purpose of the trip. Naturetrek takes all of the above criteria and comes up with the results. Accommodation was good and in the right areas, local staff were fully versed with the wildlife of their areas and made a large contribution to the success of the trip. One cannot speak too highly of the naturalist tour leader, Marcos Felix. His knowledge of the whole area, its birds, mammals, trees, plants etc. ensured a continuous flow of information over a wide range of subjects.