Wildlife holidays in Jordan
Tell me about Jordan …
The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan is a relatively small Muslim country situated in the Near East at the head of the Gulf of Aqaba.
Jordan has some of the most varied and impressive scenery in the Middle East, including the breathtakingly beautiful Wadi Rum.
Jordan is a place of cultural fascination, rich in sites of archaeological interest such as Petra.
Our Jordan specialist recommends...
"Our ‘Jordan – Birds & Archeology’ tour goes in search of some specialist mountain birds and migrants in some spectacular settings. On top of that we couldn’t miss out on the opportunity to visit the country’s most famous landmark, Petra."
Whats special about its bird life?
Despite neighbouring Israels huge popularity with European birdwatchers, Jordan has, illogically, remained almost completely neglected. Yet the wildlife opportunities in Jordan are outstanding –its bird life in particular.
- The ornithological appeal of this little known country derives from its position at the juncture of three land masses – Europe, Africa & the Middle East – and the diversity of its avifauna reflects this
- In spring the countrys resident birds are joined by European & west Asian migrants arriving from their African winter quarters
Naturetrek tours to Jordan
Naturetreks natural history tours to Jordan combine the best of the countrys bird life, dramatic landscapes and famous archaeological sites.
An insight into the countrys varied rock types – limestones, multicoloured sandstones and basalts – add to our appreciation of Jordans scenery and wildlife.
What birds can I see?
- We enjoy the heavy annual migration of birds in the region
- The specialist birds of the regions varied desert landscapes, such as the elusive larks, whose pale plumages can make them almost invisible against their arid, sandy habitats
- Temmincks Horned lark, Arabian Babbler, Sinai Rosefinch, Desert Finch, Sooty Falcon & Tristrams Serin are among the special birds well go in search of
- Migrants such as Collared Flycatcher & Thrush Nightingale are possible
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Jordan HOLIDAYS
I thoroughly enjoyed this holiday and have nothing but praise for Geoff Carr who was an excellent guide. He went out of his way to ensure that every member of the group saw as many birds as possible and his expertise was fantastic.
This was one of the most enjoyable trips ever. Many thanks to Richard and the local guide/driver.
We were very grateful Cliff Waller was able to guide the tour so well at short notice.
We also thought that Ghaith was an excellent local guide for history, culture and birds. Ghaith was also very helpful each day checking which food was gluten free.