Wildlife holidays in Peru
Peru epitomises South America for many of us and offers bird watchers and wildlife enthusiasts the travel experience of a lifetime.
Almost everybody harbours longings to see the magnificent scenery of the high Andes, the evocative ruined cities of the Incas and the great rainforests of the Amazon basin.
Peru possesses an unrivalled range of environments inside one country, including harsh deserts, vast rainforests, high snow-covered peaks, Amazonian ox-bow lakes, offshore islands, temperate cloudforests, glaciers, volcanoes, grasslands and cactus-studded canyons.
Transitions from one environment to another are extremely rapid and our tours visit all the major habitats found in Peru, from the Pacific Ocean to the Andes and the lowlands of Amazonia, passing through some of the finest scenery in the world.
Our Peru specialist recommends..
"I recommend our Macaws & Machu Picchu tour where we explore the country’s most important maritime reserve, visit the ancient city of Cusco and trek to Machu Picchu. The wildlife highlight is a visit to an isolated macaw clay-lick on the upper Tambopata River."Andy Tucker
What’s special about the wildlife?
Peru has an exceptional natural history, including a rich marine life and mammalian fauna. For bird watchers, Peru is particularly special. Its magnificent bird life includes:
- Huge condors sailing past icy peaks
- Packed masses of seabirds on the guano islands
- Pink flamingoes dotting the waters of high-altitude soda lakes
- Toucans eating ripe fruit in the rainforest canopy
- Hundreds of macaws, parrots & parakeets gathering at claylicks at dawn
- Over 1,800 bird species with more endemics than any other country!
Naturetrek tours to Peru
Naturetrek offers a range of wildlife holidays and natural history tours in Peru which offer bird watching, mammal watching and culture.
Highlights from our Peru wildlife holidays include:
- Trekking to Machu Picchu (we are the only specialist wildlife tour company to offer the Inca Trail)
- Macaw claylicks on the Tambopata River
- Seabirds of the Humboldt Current & Ballestas Islands
- Cock-of-the-rock, tanagers & quetzals in the cloudforests of Manu
- Optional flight over the Nasca lines
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Peru HOLIDAYS
I just wanted to say that I had a great time, it was a wonderful experience. Flying over the Andes was worth the trip alone. We were really well looked after by the staff at ARCC. As a vegetarian I have never been so well taken care of. It was nice to eat something other than salad on a holiday. This is the third time I have travelled with Naturetrek and cant imagine travelling with anyone else again. Thank you.
The Lord of Saipan Museum was quite stunning which was an unexpected highlight. The trip to Kuelap was also a very memorable day: a very impressive ruin in a stunning setting.
Saw so much and loved it all. Whilst the A grading is correct it leaves out the scrambling up vertical walls of mud and crossing planks without hand rails. Fell in and got soaked, but traversing the flooded forest was great fun.